KwaZulu-Natal is a Malaria free area
Heritage Tours & Transfers was founded in February 1996. Our core business WAS personalised battlefield tours in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
Evan Jones, has lived in Dundee for 60 years (2019). He is still a Registered Specialist Battlefields Guide, first registered in 1991, and is also a registered Guide Assessor. He has retired (at last), at 81 years of age & with 27 years of experience as a Registered Battlefields Specialist Guide he, with his knowledge of all the battlefields in KZN, decided to mentor prospective guides under the new name of “ Heritage Mentorships.” The new logo is as below.
However, don’t log off as yet, there is still a large amount of info on this page to help you, as a prospective tourist.
Further, below is a list of current websites including – Battlefield Guides.
- List of Battlefield Guides (not up to date.): www.battlefieldsregionguides.co.za – some of these guides work exclusively for lodges but they sometimes agree that small groups may join their Lodge group for a tour.
- The Battlefields Route: with its enormous amount of information, www.battlefieldsroute.co.za & email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Route has been going for 27 years & is the 2nd oldest Route in KZN.
- Dundee Tourism: for accommodation, B&B’s, Lodges etc, www.tourdundee.co.za & emai: email@example.com Information regarding the Historic Town of Dundee. The town has a close relationship with Mahatma Gandhi. He was sentenced & jailed twice in the old Dundee Court House, now the Gandhi museum. Dundee has many historic buildings, all having their history listed at each site on signs.
- Talana Museum: www.talana.co.za & email; firstname.lastname@example.org. Under “About Us” in the top menu, click on “Battlefields” and take a good look at Talana. This museum has enormously varied displays, which to tour, properly should take two days. Talana is the largest country Museum in the RSA. This is where the first battle of the 2nd Anglo-Boer War took place on 20th October 1899. Every year there, Dundee has a historic weekend on or near that date. On that weekend, Re-enactments of the Battle of Talana take place. This re-enactment is by the Dundee Die Hard’s Re-enactment Group, (The ONLY re-enactment group in the entire country).
- NAMBITI Big 5 Game Reserve: www.nambiti.com. This Reserve is only 60 km from Dundee It has many different Lodges sharing the facility. These Lodges vary in price and grading. Take your pick. There is no malaria there! The big 5 includes both black & white rhino. There are also resident Hippopotami.
- Drakensberg: www.zulu.org.za/destinations/drakensberg (Look at 210 Hotels) These mighty mountains are +/- 2 Hours away from Dundee. They average 10 000 feet high Drakensberg Mountains.
- East of Dundee, is Zululand, with it’s colourful history and many Game Reserves & Lodges.
All these websites listed above should help you decide on what guide, where to stay, for how long, & what Battlefields to visit.